Friday, May 22, 2009

In Accra!

So, I've managed to make my way into Accra!
It's been quite an experience so far. My original plans for accommodation fell through, so I relied on the famous Ghanian hospitality (Ian's extended family) to get me through the night. For the better part of today, I've been trying to find a place to stay (so as to not be too much of a burden), and it looks like I'll be (at least temporarily, if not permanently) residing at the Legon campus of the University of Ghana, in their International Student Hostel. It's quite nice, and there are lots of other international students around. There are a few more administrative University hurdles to jump, but I should be able to sort those out in due course.

As for Ghana itself - well, it's quite hot, which was to be expected. It's also very beautiful, and the hospitality has been incredible. I guess the biggest surprise for me is just how nicely everyone dresses. A lot of the guys are wearing stylish jeans or pressed pants, with fashionable button-up shirts or polos. The women have well-styled hair, and wear bright colors. Somehow, shoes manage to stay very nicely polished despite the omnipresent dust.

Despite how Western some things and places may seem, I can still feel that it's ... different. With my eyes closed, standing in the middle of an air-conditioned room with Western music playing, I feel like I could still tell you that I was in Ghana. Once I settle down into a routine, and find some permanency in my accommodations, I think that I'll feel much more at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment